HyperSqueak

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at gate.net
Wed Mar 15 02:46:00 UTC 2000

>The problem, of course, is to convince the HyperCard fanatics that they DO
>need "stinkin' Smalltalk" and to convince the Smalltalk fanatics that
>"stinkin' HyperCard" brings something to the table, as well.

My suggestion is to make your case in this forum.  You'll find a good
argument handled here on the merits.  I have no idea why you feel it
is necessary to convince Hypercard fanatics of anything.

In the meanwhile, may I suggest that you just go ahead and implement
what you think is needed -- that's the way things are done in
Opensourceland.  The great virtue of Squeak is that this can be done
-- try that in Hypercard.  If the work has merit, it will be adopted
one way or the other, directly or indirectly.

>What is all this talk of graphically used interface widgets save an attempt
>to bring HC facilities into Squeak?

Actually, not a whole lot of Squeakers are all that concerned about
building GUI widgets.  But of those who are, it is probably not a
safe wager to presume it is related to attempting to approximate HC
-- they are seeking mostly to emulate so-called "modern guis."