Celeste encoding (was: Duplicate messages in Celeste)

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Mon Mar 13 19:13:29 UTC 2000

Stefan Matthias Aust <sma at 3plus4.de> wrote:
> At 10:31 13.03.00, Lex Spoon wrote:
>
> >Overall, though, the best solution is to switch Squeak to Latin-1.
>
> Make it Latin-15 (so I get my beloved € (euro sign) ;-) or WinAnsi (CP1252)
> which is a superset of Latin-15 that contains a few important characters
> and would also ease the convertion to MacRoman, and I strongly second this.

Well, isn't Latin-1 the de facto standard for the Internet?  Web pages
are Latin-1 by default.  And if there is an 8-bit standard for email
messages, I'm sure it's Latin-1 by default.

So if we are just going to have one single 8-bit encoding, Latin-1 would
seem the easiest to use.

Ideally, of course, we would somehow support mixing and matching.  If we
had that, then sure, use something better internally.  But supporting
that is tough....

Lex