How to determine screen depth?

Doug Way dway at mat.net
Wed Mar 1 21:48:45 UTC 2000

On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Tim Rowledge wrote:

> > > Also, is there some way to change the host display > depth/screen size?
> > > (ie for a multimedia presentation which requires 640 at 480)
>
> Screen depth: <Display depth> tells you, <Display newDepth: 8> tells it - 1,2,4,8,16 & 32 are usually acceptable.
> Screen size:  <DisplayScreen actualScreenSize> tells you, and primitive 92 (which is not yet referred to in 2.7) would try to set the screen mode, depth etc.
> No need to worry about strange scripts.

Er, I think by "host display" they meant the host operating system display
depth/size, not the Squeak display depth/size.  (Although I could be
wrong.)

I'm nearly positive that you'd need to roll your own pluggable primitive
to set the host screen's depth or size.  (Not only that, but doing this
from an application is often frowned upon, even for applications with much
greater native OS access than Squeak.)

- Doug Way
  EAI/Transom Technologies, Ann Arbor, MI
  http://www.transom.com