Celeste encoding (was: Duplicate messages in Celeste)

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at atlas.otago.ac.nz
Thu Mar 16 04:28:06 UTC 2000

	  I don't try to be pessimistic, and want to have cool font
	handling mechanism in Squeak.  I just want to clarify that
	"Unicode" is not universal answer for multilingualization.

	  -- Yoshiki

I would like to point out that in Unicode 3.0 there are codes in plane
14 for marking text up with languages, which is *all* the information
needed to present CJK characters in Chinese, Japanese, or Korean, or
whatever.  I rather regret this:  one of the key concepts in Unicode
was that things like language markup were supposed to be left to higher
level protocols (can you say xml:lang? I knew you could) and now we are
stuck with *two* protocols which have to be reconciled (just like Unicode
has support for bidirectional text and (X)HTML has another one, and they
have to be reconciled somehow).