Has anyone implemented CORBA?

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Mar 9 14:28:06 UTC 2000

>Because Squeak needs to interact and CORBA is a very good normalizer, in my
>opinion.

I think that Bolot Kerimbaev built a small ORB on top of Comanche --
I'll let him verify.

For many applications, it is useful to have Squeak to interact, but
CORBA isn't the obvious best choice.  If the people you want to
interact with are CORBA-ites, then obviously, you have to compromise.
But for things we've been exploring, CORBA is seriously heavyweight.
We've been finding things like XML-RPC to be lighter weight and work
well between Java and Squeak (as an example).

Mark

(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu