[swiki-bugs] Re: Swiki: no-cache and <pre>

John Clonts jclonts at mastnet.net
Thu Mar 2 22:49:29 UTC 2000

Jochen F. Rick wrote:

> > I thought that we've been doing Pragma no-cache for months, even with
> > the PWS Swiki before the conversion to Comanche Swiki.  Our purpose
>
> We have. It is not really a good option to do it without cache;

Pardon me for my suspicion of your almost-triple-negative; Do you mean
a)"not good to do it with 'pragma no-cache'" or b)"not good to do it
without 'pragma no-cache'"?

> although,
> it is a fairly easy thing to tweak it in ComSwiki to not do the
> expiration.

As a browser-user I don't mind my cache expiring, as long as it expires
in something more than 5-to-30 minutes or so.

[The most vivid example is after doing a search that yields a page with
links for 20 or so pages on them.  You go to ResultLinkOne, then hit the
back-button to go back to the results list, and .... ack!  Its
re-searching (15+ seconds).  Some browsers allow alternate techniques to
mitigate this, though...]

> The latest ComSwiki no longer has the no cache as a meta tag.

Yeaaa!

> It is now part of the http.

Oh, booo!

> Perhaps you should try the latest version of
> ComSwiki that has forwarding. That might clear your problems.
>
> On count 2, ComSwiki also has a feature where you can have preformatted
> text by simply adding a = at the beginning of the line. The other thing
> to do is use <tt> and </tt> for longer sections.
>
> Peace and Luck!
>
> Je77

Perhaps I overstate my position, a bit...

Cheers,
John