How to determine screen depth?

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Mar 2 03:15:37 UTC 2000

> At 4:48 PM -0500 1/3/00, Doug Way wrote:

> >Er, I think by "host display" they meant the host operating system display
> >depth/size, not the Squeak display depth/size.  (Although I could be
> >wrong.)
>
> No, you're quite right.  I was looking for a way to find out the depth of
> the actual host operating system display, and if possible manipulate it.
Ya - the prim 92 I mentioned seems to be intended to manipulate the host
display, but nobody uses it yet and I haven't implemented it on the
Acorn, so who knows? Whoever wrote it! Andreas?

Russell Allen wrote:

> Let me rephrase the minimum of what I am looking for:  a way to
> automatically change Squeak's <Display depth> to match the depth of the
> display of the host OS.
Actually, you're right about reading the host screen depth, which is
pretty odd. We can find out the screen size but not the depth... I'm
sure it can't be hard to add for any platform. We have to know it in
order to do the Display -> glass updating dance.

tim