Widgets and Books for Squeak

John_Gardner at dmr.ca John_Gardner at dmr.ca
Fri Mar 24 16:17:24 UTC 2000

Thanks Bob,

I'll run with your code when I've hit the competence level on the Squeak
learning curve. I'm sure this could become the basis for a flexible,
configurable "packaging" tool.

Your response does seem to imply something. Does the entire Squeak community
believe that MVC is a waste of time and that the default UI should be Morphic?

Am I wasting my time investigating the extension of MVC to include a set of
Widgets? Should I instead focus my energies upon Morphic and collaborating on
developing the aforementioned "packaging" tool?

I apologize for sounding so Newbie-ish about all this, but time is an issue for
me. My heart wants to convert to Squeak, but my mind is cautious. I believe that
Squeak is architecturally superior and more cost effective than Java, but there
are some holes.

I sense that the Squeak community wants Squeak to become to languages what Linux
is to operating systems. To do this, packaging, Squeak-to-Squeak communication,
XML support and documentation are 4 key areas to be addressed.

We're not there yet. Unfortunately, Java still has some advantages over Squeak.

Thanks,

John.

Bob Arning <arning at charm.net> on 03/24/2000 10:44:46 AM

Please respond to squeak at cs.uiuc.edu