Really off topic now... was: Re: Face down, nine-edgefirst(wherein all is revealed)

Henrik Gedenryd Henrik.Gedenryd at lucs.lu.se
Thu May 11 13:56:30 UTC 2000

Alan Kay wrote:

> I hope so too! But I said that about Smalltalk 20 years ago -- in the hopes
> that something much better would be invented by the next generation -- but
> here it still is! This is why WE need to make something much better. (And
> don't forget when C was first invented ....)

But the problem seems to be that no one seems to want to fund that kind of
research any longer. Does anyone know of a truly innovative language
research project out there right now? It seems Self was the last one. (Or
maybe I just missed something--I really hope so!)

The 40th birthday of OOP is just a couple of years off (given that we regard
Simula as the beginning, and not something earlier).

Henrik