Request for enhancement

Norton, Chris chrisn at Kronos.com
Fri May 12 20:01:11 UTC 2000

Hi Dan & company.

Dan Ingalls wrote:
"It occurred to me that it's silly for the browser to show both 'all' and
'as yet unclassified', and also silly to show both 'all' and 'no messages'."

I don't have time to work on this feature right now, so I'm not
volunteering.  However, I was the original implementor of the "all" feature
(with Carl Gundel), so I do have some thoughts as to your enhancement
suggestion.

1.  I agree that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to display the "all"
category if there are "no messages".
2.  I do not agree that the "all" and the "as yet unclassified" categories
are redundant.  This would only be true if there were no method categories
defined for the class.  If any user defined method categories exist, then
the "as yet unclassified" is needed to indicate that there are some
unclassified methods.  In this scenario, the "all" category provides the
service of seeing all of the methods in the method pane without having to
click on different method categories.  In my opinion, this is a good thing.

So, in short, I think the "all" category should appear if there are any user
defined method categories.  In addition, it could be argued that a sometimes
appearing/sometimes disappearing "all" category could be confusing for the
user.  Also, I believe it is the case that the "all" category is
automatically selected when you select a class via the PackageBrowser.  This
is a nice feature that might be broken if we modify the existing "all"
feature.

Warning to would be implementers:  The hard-coded indexing scheme in the
various browsers is very fragile.  When the "all" feature was originally
added, there were many index-related bugs found/fixed.  Be very careful if
you plan on changing this feature.  All of the various Browser subclasses
should be unit tested (in MVC and in Morphic) before a change is submitted
(some good tests are documented in my original change sets for this
feature).

I wish you all a happy Friday.  :-)

---==> Chris