thisCompiler special variable

Helge Horch Helge.Horch at munich.netsurf.de
Sun May 21 11:49:34 UTC 2000

At 11:57 21.05.2000 +0200, Stefan Matthias Aust wrote:
>At 02:58 18.05.00 -0400, Stephen Pair wrote:
> >someMethod
> >         ^thisCompiler valueNow: [
> >                 IdentityDictionary new
> >                         at: 'US' put: 'United States';
> >                         at: 'UK' put: 'United Kingdom';
> >                         yourself].
>
>in this case, I'd prefer the ##( ) syntax which is easier to read and
>already supported for Dolphin and VisualAge.  I think, there's a file-in
>for VisualWorks, done by Vassili Bykow (I'm sorry, I probably misspelled
>that name).

Just s/w/v/.

The fileIn in question is actually an excellent tutorial, "The Hitch
Hiker's Guide to the Smalltalk Compiler":

<http://smalltalkchronicles.com/edition2-1/st_compiler.htm>

By and large, it's applicable to Squeak, too.  Make sure to have a look at
the implementors of #isPvtSelector (recently refactored by guess-whom)
before implementing #isPrivateSelector...

Cheers,
Helge