EToy status update?

Eric Scharff Eric.Scharff at Colorado.EDU
Sun May 28 23:01:54 UTC 2000

This is somewhat a followup to the recent postings about Logo and
HyperCard.  I have a tremendous amount of personal interest in this style
of programming.

It seems that there are fragments of things all over the place, like the
current EToy stuff (the scripting tiles, ...), Fabrik, the HyperCard-like
features in BookMorphs, the Wonderland language, and probably others I
know nothing about.  I remember a conversation a while back about Squeak
versus, say, Macromedia Director that also gets at similar issues.

(Folks doing this stuff are probably aware of the AgentSheets / Visual
AgenTalk work done by colleagues of mine here at Colorado.  I choose both
not to speak for them and also to maintain my neutrality, but it is an
intriguing approach very much like the EToy stuff.)

I'm not necessarily recommending merging all these things into one
glorious unified thing and calling it the ideal end-user programming
language or something.  Squeak/Smalltalk itself provides a very good glue
for various different approaches.

One challenge in the current system is knowing whats there, and knowing
the status of these various endeavors.  What is the current state of all
of these different things?

In particular, what is the future of the EToy stuff?  We've heard a lot
(and even now see) the advances in Morphic, Image Segments, and other such
things.  However, I really like the EToy stuff (to the limited extent I
understand it; basically exploration based on Demos I've seen the SqC
folks do) and I would like to see that work continue.  I find the
connection between scripted objects that dynamically generate Smalltalk
behavior particularly nice, because it leads to different levels of
abstraction (script the objects, or change the script primitives, or
re-code directly in Smalltalk depending on what you want to accomplish.)

Any information about the current status and direction of the EToy stuff
would be great (at least for me, he says selfishly... :) )

-Eric