'Unknown' attachment -- what is the origin?

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Thu May 25 12:39:56 UTC 2000

Jerry,

On Thu, 25 May 2000 08:15:05 EDT JArchibald at aol.com wrote:
>    Were you able to access the attachment correctly?
>        Subj:    [GOODIE] 's Tree and TextOrganizer (no TNEF)
>        Date:   5/8/00 10:35:40 AM Eastern Daylight Time
>        From:   bert at isgnw.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De (Bert Freudenberg)

This one was fine with me. Try dropping the file on Stuffit Expander and you should be able to see the contents (it's gzipped). Incidentally, what Bert copied here from Stewarts' email appears to be only one of the three parts.

>Subj:    RE: EndOfStream an Error???
>Date:   5/24/00 10:28:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time
>From:   stingray at paradise.net.nz (Stewart MacLean)
>File:  Unknown (3579 bytes)
>Saved as Unknow14

This one has headers
If you decode the base64, you get something that says it is "IPM.Microsoft Mail.Note 1" and appears to be further encoded (or simply binary data). I'm not familiar with that format. Since it lacked a MIME header specifying file name, Unknown is not surprising.

>Subj:    Re: [Mac] Interim VM for 2.8beta
>Date:   5/25/00 1:35:53 AM Eastern Daylight Time
>From:   werdna at gate.net (Andrew C. Greenberg)
>File:  Unknown (21562 bytes)
>Saved as Unknow13

This is one of those two-part mac files. Unless you received it with a mac-friendly client (and, probably, unless you received it on a mac), you are unllikely to be able to use it. Of course, this is a mac plugin which would be usable only on a mac.

>Subj:    [Bug][Fix][Enh] Better PPT->BookMorph
>Date:   5/15/00 4:46:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time
>From:   guzdial at cc.gatech.edu (Mark Guzdial)
>File:  Unknown (1281 bytes)
>Saved as Unknow12

this is, again, one of those two-part mac files. In this case it's only a text file so decoding the second part should be sufficient.

So, the moral of the story is to use Celeste or eekMail and help improve the handling of these funky types. ;-)

Cheers,
Bob