Face down, nine-edge first

Pennell, David DPennell at quallaby.com
Mon May 8 15:01:06 UTC 2000

> Then let's get back on topic: How large would a stack of
> punching cards be
> containing the latest Squeak image and changes?

Squeak2.7.changes = 7,700 KB
Squeak2.7.image = 6,127 KB

Use 12 columns to encode 1.5 bytes
(Alan's mail would indicate that this isn't possible
because of rows 0-9 can't take combinations, but I seem
to remember CDC dumping binary data via a card punch that
used all combinations)
1.5*80 columns = 120 bytes/card
The image and changes file would need 117,991 cards.
I think a box of 2,000 cards was about 16" long.  This
would mean that our stack would be about 79 ft (24 m)
high - an eight story building.

I really, really have to get back to work now.

-david