Versions bug after 2004, 2047, 2048 BigSources

David N. Smith (IBM) dnsmith at watson.ibm.com
Tue May 23 20:57:18 UTC 2000

The version browser doesn't work for items which exceed the old limits, though the regular browsers work fine. The error is in VersionsBrowser>>#scanVersionsOf: class:meta:category:selector:. It causes a walkback at the third line from the end:

			[file _ sourceFilesCopy at: prevFileIndex]].

where sourceFilesCopy has two elements as expected but prevFileIndex is 4.

Code above this point does computations on the source pointer.

My changes file is 16,844,803 bytes long, having overflowed the old limit while installing a big glob up updates last week. Since then, the VersionsBrowser chokes on any method which is above the 16 meg limit, but everything else seems to work, including the versions browser on methods with no new versions.

The version of VersionsBrowser>>#scanVersionsOf: class:meta:category:selector: is "sw 10/19/1999 15:11". If this was fixed in a later update, it did not load. I had to run the updates from a fresh project with no transcript so I couldn't see errors. (This was to get around my 'hang at 2095 problem of last week).

There were no updates to VersionsBrowser in 2004, nor in 2047 or 2048 (more BigSources updates).

Did I miss an update?

Dave
David N. Smith
IBM T J Watson Research Center