Face down, nine-edge first (wherein all is revealed)

Helge Horch Helge.Horch at munich.netsurf.de
Wed May 10 01:08:27 UTC 2000

At 06:04 09.05.2000 -0400, Jerry Archibald wrote:
>It was totally character oriented, and makes even the 8080 seem like
>a super-computer.
>
>Perhaps Bob Arning has a 1401 manual somewhere in his archives.

Catching up on the mailing list (just a couple o'hundred msgs left), I
couldn't help noticing this retro stuff. Even if slightly off-topic, it
makes for an interesting background read. Thanks, all, for sharing your
memories!

As a former PDP-8 advocate I recall that Bob Supnik's (of DEC fame)
near-universal emulator "sim" also does the 1401 (besides PDP-8/11/1/4/etc
and Nova). So just in case anyone wants to relive kind memories:

Readme sez:
>CPU             IBM 1401 CPU with 16K of memory
>CDR,CDP IBM 1402 card reader/punch
>LPT             IBM 1403 line printer
>INQ             IBM 1407 inquiry terminal
>MT              IBM 729 7-track magnetic tape controller with six drives

All that, and other amusing stuff like "1401 Single Card Koans".
6bit BCD ahoy! Grab it on *bsd mirror sites or off Megan B. Gentry's
<URL:http://world.std.com/~mbg/>

OKOK, I'll shut up already,
Hel "me? sidetracked?" ge