Windows CE and minimal image

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Thu May 25 17:04:01 UTC 2000

>"Lars Nilsson" <lars at cymfony.com> wrote...
>>To clarify, I can add any method I want under Windows CE as well without
>>problem. The corruption of the code display only happens after I
>>subsequently decide that I need extend the set of instance variables in the
>>class definition. If I don't add any variables (if I know beforehand what I
>>need, for instance) the code continues to appear to correctly. The method
>>name itself remains correct in either case.
>>	TestClass>>test: aNumber and: anotherNumber
>>turns into
>>	TestClass>>test: ffkujkj and: djfhwoiu
>>with the body of the method basically unreadable. I've just been typing
>>random characters in my examples, but it's pretty much what it looks like on
>>the WinCE machine.

Lars -

It turns out that this has been a problem with abandonSources from the beginning (my apologies for casting aspersions on the ClassBuilder and ExtendedSources improvements).  The code that recompiles methods (called when you change instance variables in a class) was not properly handling the "magic temps" trailers.

It was surprising to me that this has gone undiscovered for so long.  However, this only affects resahping of old (ie system) classes - which most people do not do.  Also, normally people retain the little changes file with their shrunken image (my guess is you did not, but I recommend that you do).  If you do this, then new classes added, even with abandoned sources, retain full sources (with comments) on the new changes file, and thus they do not suffer from this problem.

I attach herewith a fix for you to test.  It should work for reshaping pre-existing classes as well as classes newly defined in the absence of a changes file.  I had success with it and, if you do too, I will issue it as an update.

Thanks again for the alert.

	- Dan