Copyright issues [was: Re: Who wants to refactor #deepCopy?]

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at 3plus4.de
Sun May 28 20:37:15 UTC 2000

At 21:44 28.05.00 +0200, Stephan Rudlof wrote:

>I have questions regarding copyrights here:
>
>How far can someone 'copy' an existing implementation of a commercial
>Smalltalk?

I'm no laywer etc, but literally copying code is surely against the
copyright.  One can probably argue about simple renaming or
reformatting.  Algorithms aren't covered by copyright (you might be able to
patent them, though, in unfortunately near future in Europe)

Whatever, just to make sure, I didn't say one could copy any kind of
code.  I'm just fascinated by the beauty of some code or repelled by the
ugliness of some other code.  Code is poetry for computers, you know...

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust  //  ...come on, kiss the frog!