Can you help me? (Work-in-Progress, Zooming Browser Panes)

Norton, Chris chrisn at Kronos.com
Sat May 13 00:59:19 UTC 2000

Hello friends!

I was coding merrily along one day and I got a bit frustrated with the
teensy little window pane I was working in.  My mouse kept sliding off of
the pane and my typing kept getting lost.  So I thought... "well, I'll just
zoom the pane" (zoom = enlarge the pane to the extent of the window).  I
brought up the Squeak shortcuts list and discovered that zoom is not
implemented!  "Oh ho!" I thought.  "An opportunity to improve Squeak."
Dropping everything, I gleefully set about to implement zoom...

Now, I am not that experienced with morphic, so I've probably gone about
this the wrong way, but I figured that I would associate command-t (Alt-t on
Windows) with the ability to zoom (I chose 't', because it's the last letter
available... oh drat!).  I added behavior to PluggableListMorph and to
PluggableTextMorph that I believe will do the zooming/unzooming, but I've
had some trouble making it work properly.  If I try to zoom from a Browser's
text pane, it maximizes/minimizes the pane splendidly.  But if I try to zoom
from the Browser's scroll panes, it doesn't zoom properly.  Herein lies
confusion #1.

Another strange thing that I've had some trouble identifying is what the
inner boundary of a system window is.  I mean the stuff inside the frame and
underneath the title bar.  This is the ideal space I'd like to use for
zooming (confusion #2).

The last part I'd like a bit of advice on is where this code should live.
Clearly, it is not nice to have duplicate code sprinkled here and there
throughout the image.  I'd prefer to put this in one place... but I don't
know where that place is (confusion #3).

Thanks in advance for your consideration/ideas and help!    :-)

---==> Chris

 <<BrowserZoom-ccn.1.cs>>