Publication opportunity

demiourgos at smalltalk.org demiourgos at smalltalk.org
Tue May 9 22:33:36 UTC 2000

The Dr Dobb's Journal of June 2000 is, by title, devoted
to object-oriented programming.  Yet it has no mention of
either Smalltalk or Eiffel in it.  I wrote a letter to
Dobb's editors, posted for inspection at

   http://algebraist.com/ddj20000504ltr.htm

and received the following replies, in order.  The second
came after I asked for permission to post these to
comp.lang.smalltalk and other venues.

I would be happy to help with this little advertising
project in any way I can.  I don't have any sexy
applications to show or things to write about.  I'm sure
there are folks in these groups who do and can, and, in
fact, probably have papers ready to go.

Of course anyone can approach the editors directly and
probably will.  But I wonder if it might not be nice to have
some kind of coordinated group of papers, too. Surely it
would make sense to have something like that for Squeak. And
I bet it would make sense to have something like that for
Dolphin/VisualAge/VisualWorks ("Not your father's
Smalltalk", etc).  It seems to me that Mr Erickson implies
Dobb's has a hunger for technical articles and material
which the Smalltalk community could well satisfy and thus
provide it with a dose of excellent exposure to a
sophisticated audience.

Thoughts?

 --jt