DSA changes open for comment

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Wed May 31 21:38:58 UTC 2000

On Wed, 31 May 2000 22:59:33 +0200 Stephan Rudlof <sr at evolgo.de> wrote:
>I think most people update their VMs, if there is a official (not alpha)
>version number change.
>Currently we are staying at VM2.7.
>
>Is this true or may I be wrong here?

It's hard to say - who knows how many lurkers out are there and what they are doing.

Personally, I tend to lag behind in getting new VM's simply because it's another step, but in this case, Dan warned us that we could see significant degradation in performance if we took all the new image updates and were missing some optional plugins. On Friday he wrote:

----
In the same 2.8 folder on UIUC where I put the interim 2.8beta VM for the Mac,
there is now a "real" one, by the name of

	SqueakVM2.8beta.sea.bin

This VM...
	IS built from all the latest plugin sources
	IS "fat" (ie it will run on a 68K)
	DOES NOT have the new LargeInteger primitives
		(but it rocks with the plugin!)
	DOES have fast recovery from missing primitives
		(so it still runs fine without the plugin)
	DOES support 'Smalltalk listBuiltinModules' and related functions

Thanks to all the VM construction workers, and to John for compiling this VM.
----

So I got that one. The story on other platforms may vary.

Cheers,
Bob