www.squeakworld.com!

Mark Guzdial guzdial at cc.gatech.edu
Wed May 31 13:17:35 UTC 2000

At 1:46 PM +0200 5/31/00, Stefan Matthias Aust wrote:
>Regarding the web infrastructure, do you know Midgard
>(www.midgard-project.org).  I don't suggest to use that tool, but I
>like the site layout and the ideas behind that tool. So I recommend
>to check it out.  It's similar to ZOPE (www.zope.org) in its ideas
>and a free, opensourced web site application builder with an easy
>to use interface, built upon apache, php and mysql.

Bolot Kerimbaev, who's doing Comanche, is a major PHP fan.  My guess
is that the internals of Comanche already look like Midgard.

I do hope that squeakworld.com can keep to the "Back to the Future"
mantra of "Everything in Squeak."  For my students and me, I find
that focus has enormous value -- at some level, it's all
understandable and all inspectable and all explorable.  But I do
understand that a commercial entity has concerns other than
educational, and you certainly have to balance out the Squeak ideals
and what you need to do to keep the farm.

At 1:31 AM -0700 5/31/00, "G–ran" Hultgren wrote:
>I was thinking of using CVS for content management - and it still
>might come handy for some things
>- but a Swiki solution would be nicer, is this a rendered Swiki or
>is the "public" side also
>served from Comanche? Is there any possibility that we could
>"borrow" your setup on csl as an
>example or something? I assume it can be quite tricky to get it
>configured. Comanche and
>Swiki-stuff does not really have a trackrecord of being
>over-documented... ;-) ;-)

CSL is not a rendered Swiki -- both sides are served from Comanche.
The images and uploads are served from Apple PWS.  CoWeb, believe it
or not, is a simple Macintosh running OS 8.5.  It was a 7100, but I
think we've now upgraded that one to a 7600 with a G3 board in it.

I think that Jochen and Bolot would be willing to help configure
squeakworld.com, and Bijan, Jochen, Bolot, and Lex are working on the
documentation side.  Take a look at Bijan's chapter at
http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/squeakbook/ as a starting point.  (It's
PWS-only right now, but I've seen demos from Bijan and Lex which
suggest that it's expanding to cover more of Squeak networking.)

Mark

Associate Professor - Learning Sciences & Technologies.
Collaborative Software Lab - http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/csl/
(404) 894-5618 : Fax (404) 894-0673 : guzdial at cc.gatech.edu