DSA changes open for comment

JArchibald at aol.com JArchibald at aol.com
Wed May 31 22:41:46 UTC 2000

=> 5/31/00 5:29:43 PM EDT, arning at charm.net [personal communication] =>
<< As best I can tell the two Mac VMs that Dan placed on uiuc recently do not
have the *new* LargeIntegers code in them. I cannot be sure about Andreas'
Windows VM, but his announcement of it sounded like it did not contain the
LargeIntegers plugin either. The test is fairly simple >>

The new Windows VM runs the LargeIntegers code; it does not require a
plug-in.
It is the version I used to run the DSA tests on Windows.

WRT the Mac, you are right (in more ways than one). Dan's mail reads:

=> 5/28/00 1:43:44 AM EDT, Dan.Ingalls at disney.com =>
<< In the same 2.8 folder on UIUC where I put the interim 2.8beta VM for the
Mac,
 there is now a "real" one, by the name of

    SqueakVM2.8beta.sea.bin

 This VM...
    IS built from all the latest plugin sources
    IS "fat" (ie it will run on a 68K)
    DOES NOT have the new LargeInteger primitives
        (but it rocks with the plugin!)
    DOES have fast recovery from missing primitives
        (so it still runs fine without the plugin)
    DOES support 'Smalltalk listBuiltinModules' and related functions >>

The previous Mac VM had path:
    ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/pub/Smalltalk/Squeak/2.8/

!!! BUT THE NEW ONE IS NOT THERE !!!

What is there is
    05/24/2000 10:30AM 159,104 Squeak_VM_2.8-NOT.sea.bin
which is the previous one.

Dan, where did you put the new one?

Cheers [and with the hope of an iterim VM convergence soon],
Jerry.

Jerry L. Archibald
systemObjectivesIncorporated