C Translation (was: Where to start learning Interpreter?)

Edward P Luwish eluwish at uswest.com
Fri May 26 19:45:43 UTC 2000

I would find useful a description of how the various classes work together,
specifically:
Interpreter
InterpreterProxy
InterpreterSimulator
the analogous BitBlt classes
the C Translation classes
and the new pluginized variations on the above

This would help guide my reading of the source.
I was going to start by looking at Tim's and Andreas's recent pluginization
change set, as a prototype for future VM and translator changes, but a bit of
guidance would save a lot of time.

I need to modify the C translation process to accomodate EPOC's odd method of
sharing data among dll's.  Static storage is not permitted, since dlls have to
be thread-safe, and even the main program has to be a dll in order to interact
with OS services (only headless server processes can be coded as exe's - these
can use static storage but can not share it with other processes).

This mail thread supplied some references critical to an understanding of the
VM.  My specific interest is in how the Smalltalk source becomes the executable
VM.