[ENH]ScrollPane (scrollBarHidden: true)

Doug Way dway at mat.net
Mon May 22 17:56:30 UTC 2000

On Sun, 21 May 2000, Karl Ramberg wrote:

> [ENH]ScrollPane (scrollBarHidden: true)
>
> Makes it possible to hide the scrollbar in scrollpanes (!!). Sometimes
> when the pane is really small the scrollbar makes no sence anyway. It
> has a minimum height of 42 pixels and is really not useful when it's
> that small.
>
> This changeset utilizes a instance variable that is defined but
> currently not used  (?)  in the ScrollPane.

FYI, I created a similar but more elaborate changeset, which automatically
hides scrollbars when the contents of a pane are small enough to fit in
the pane.

The changeset works for Squeak 2.6/2.7 and seems to work for 2.8alpha,
although I haven't tested that thoroughly.  It's at
http://www.mindspring.com/~dway/smalltalk/HiddenScrollBar26.cs .

We'd probably want a Preference for this before considering adding it to
the base image.  (My changeset actually removes the unused
'scrollBarHidden' instance variable, but adds a different one,
'hasFocus'.)

I know, goodies like this one should be added to the All Projects page on
the Swiki, so people know about them.  I've been thinking about further
cleaning up the All Projects page... it could use some more rigid
formatting to make it more readable, perhaps some indentation like the
Squeak FAQ.  Or maybe a table, although I think an indented list might
look nicer.  Also, there are a *lot* of goodies/tools/projects out there
that aren't on the page yet... I may try to add a few.

- Doug Way
  EAI/Transom Technologies, Ann Arbor, MI
  http://www.transom.com
  dway at mat.net, @eai.com