Playing AIFF sounds

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sun May 7 07:07:47 UTC 2000

on 5/6/00 14:06, David N. Smith (IBM) at dnsmith at watson.ibm.com wrote:

> At 13:28 -0400 5/6/00, Bob Arning wrote:
>> Dave,
>>
>> I just had some insight into the timing stuff I sent you yesterday - the
>> unexplained pauses only happened when I had another application running in
>> the background on the Mac. Is there anything else running on your PowerBook
>> when you hear the repeated sounds?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Bob
>
> Hummm, yes: Eudora Pro, a phone book program, but typically no network
> connection. Eudora 'should' be quiet and uneventful. I'll try to run 'bare'
> and see what happens.
>
> Dave
> _______________________________
> David N. Smith
> IBM T J Watson Research Center
> Hawthorne, NY
> _______________________________
> Any opinions or recommendations
> herein are those of the author
> and not of his employer.

Of course the other application gets control via getnextevent to have a
slice of time for processing. If the sound buffer doesn't have sufficient
bytes in it then you'll get a pause or the replay? until control returns to
squeak and you get more bytes into the sound manager. Mind this is
speculation on my part but it would be interesting to know how many msecs
are buffered versus how long that getnext/waitnextevent takes. Say for
example what if that Endora app sucks up 750ms once and awhile?

BTW I was unable to create the condition on my PB500

======
======
Various Smalltalk dialects -> VisualWorks, VisualWave
Macintosh custom programming
PGP Key: DSS/Diff/46FC3BE6 Fingerprint=B22F 7D67 92B7 5D52 72D7  E94A EE69
2D21 46FC 3BE6