Squeak - a short overview (Bookmorph)

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Tue May 23 16:27:02 UTC 2000

Stefan Matthias Aust <sma at 3plus4.de> wrote:
> At 10:32 09.05.00 +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> >On Tue, 9 May 2000, Stefan Matthias Aust wrote:
> >
> > > So at least in my case, I'd guess that it's a problem with Squeak's
> > > .gz deflater.
> >
> >With Linux, I downloaded using wget and gunzipped with squeak. No problem.
> >If it doesn't work, it is Window specific - be it the download program or
> >Squeak on Windows (although I doubt this).
>

> Okay, but then why is WinZip able to correctly extract the file?

It's used to dealing with whatever error IE caused.  (Really, which
program is more likely to get fixed?  And just how often do you hear "MS
Foo was updated to be more standards compliant", as opposed to
"LittleGuy Bar was updated to work around a bug in MS Foo"?)

Anyway, perhaps an extra byte is appended to the file?

-Lex