[BUG] deleteCard missing

Scott Wallace Scott.Wallace at disney.com
Mon May 8 17:14:22 UTC 2000

At 11:14 AM +0200 5/6/00, Stefan Matthias Aust wrote:
>In my attempt to try to figure out how book morphs work (I'm sort of
>lost here) I wondered what stacks might be.  You can make a page a
>stack (whatever that means) but when you try to delete a card, you
>get an DNU #deleteCard.  Does stacks really work already?
>
>bye

Hi, Stefan.

"Stacks" aren't really operational at present, though they "worked
once" for a demo in 1998, and are currently being revived and made to
work properly and generally.

The code you may have encountered in PasteUpMorph in category
"stack/card" dates from a couple of years ago, when a brief demo was
put together of a simple HyperCard-like system in Squeak.  The demo
was fleshed out just well enough to illustrate one possible mapping
between Hypercard and Squeak structures, and consisted of a simple,
scriptable Rolodex, constructed of bare parts.

Though most the demo code is long gone, some of the support code (and
structure) remains in PasteUpMorph and DataMorph.  It has been lying
fallow, and not quite usable, all this time, just waiting for someone
to pick up this thread at some later moment.

By coincidence, such a moment arrived for me just last month.  I'm
not looking to ship anything in this area in 2.8-beta, but this is
definitely a direction in which work is being done and clarity is
emerging.

There's no reason why Squeak should not easily allow a user to do all
the things one can do in HyperCard -- minus the brick walls, and with
very little mechanism involved.

   -- Scott