[FIX] ObjectExplorer

Stewart MacLean stingray at paradise.net.nz
Mon May 8 09:38:18 UTC 2000

Hi All,

At last! Lurking no longer :)

Here is a change set relating to Bob Arning's object explorer. I wanted to develop a TextOrganizer which needed a hierarchical view and used Bob's explorer as a starting point. He had done all the hard work! Thanks Bob.

Along the way I found a couple of bugs and made some changes to decouple the model from the view. Read all about it below.

I will post the TextOrganizer separately as a Goodie.

Cheers,

Stewart

"Change Set:		Explorer Fixes and Changes 1.0
Date:			7 May 2000
Author:			Stewart MacLean
				stingray at paradise.net.nz

This change set fixes a couple of bugs and decouples the handling of events in the SimpleHierarchicalMorph from the application model (ObjectExplorer). This was done in preparation for reuse of these classes by the TextOrganizer goodie. The following is an extract from TextOrganizer comment....

It is inspired by the VisualWorks workspace organizer and Bob Arning's object explorer.

I was able to leverage Bob's good work on the explorer (I didn't have time to do the hard
bits myself!). As I wanted the organizer's hierarchical list to behave differently I have had
to separate out the behaviour of SimpleHierarchicalListMorph. I have changed
SimpleHierarchicalListMorph<<mouseDown: event onItem: aMorph to delegate it's behaviour
to it's model. The main behviour change is to allow for a 'very deep recursive' toggle.
This is appropriate for the organizer as the subtrees are bound, whereas with the explorer,
depending on what you were looking at, one could conceivably end up expanding with all
the objects in the image - ouch!

In order to be able to find all the siblings of any item I found that I had
to add a parent backpointer to IndentingListItemMorph.
(The current withSiblingsDo: only includes remaining siblings in the chain).

I also fixed a couple of bugs with the explorer:
- left clicking on an expanded item (in toggle area) where a child is selected, still leaves a highlight when it contracts
- right clicking on an expanded item (in toggle area) causes a walkback

Enjoy!
"