DSA changes open for comment

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Wed May 31 17:37:20 UTC 2000

For those who care about DSA, here are a couple of changesets that will simplify DSA code, make it work with the new LargeIntegers plugin and make it faster. It's nice when you get all that at the same time! We have had some offline discussions and testing, but I wanted to see if anyone could think of problems before making this an official [FIX][ENH]. Note: if you have a DSA plugin for your platform, but do NOT have the LargeIntegers plugin, then you probably do not want to use this.

Cheers,
Bob

	http://www.charm.net/~arning/dsaPart1.31May1313.cs

This is the first of two changesets to DSA that will:
- fix the incompatibility between the current code and the new LargeInteger plugin
- provide some timing data useful in evaluating part two
- provide for saving some signatures to disk to validate part two

After filing this in, you can do:
- (DigitalSignatureAlgorithm runTiming) to get a short report to the Transcript showing times for various large integer arithmetic implementations
- (DigitalSignatureAlgorithm timeDecode: 20) to get timing information on signature verification with the current DSA code
- (DigitalSignatureAlgorithm writeExamplesToDisk) to save some messages with signatures and public keys to disk. This file can be used in validating the second changeset

	http://www.charm.net/~arning/dsaPart2.31May1321.cs

This is the second of two change sets for DSA which will:
- Replace the DSA primitives for LargeInteger arithmetic with corresponding Squeak ones. Now that we have the LargeIntegers plugin, this will allow us to verify signatures more quickly while getting rid of DSA-specific primitives.

After filing this in, you can:
- (DigitalSignatureAlgorithm timeDecode: 20) to see how signature verification times compare to the previous implementation
- (DigitalSignatureAlgorithm testExamplesFromDisk) to read some messages from a file created by the previous implementation. This will help to validate that we can still verify messages correctly.