[ENH] StreamingSocket

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at 3plus4.de
Fri May 12 17:26:00 UTC 2000

At 08:57 08.05.00 -0700, Treis, Ken wrote:
>Hi Squeakers,
>
>This is a simple Socket subclass that has a stream-like protocol (next,
>next:, nextPut:, nextPutAll:, upTo:).

The current way to use Sockets sucks, IMHO of course.  Therefore I like
Ken's approach to provide a more stream-like interface.  As with Files, I
have to say that the Java API for Sockets is much better and easier to use.

However, instead of subclassing Socket, I'd propose to have a subclass of
Stream which delegates to a socket.  Actually, it could be a subclass of an
external buffered stream, a class from which one could probably also
subclass a buffered file io class.

Comments?

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust  //  Bevor wir fallen, fallen wir lieber auf