[ENH]ScrollPane (scrollBarHidden: true)

Karl Ramberg karl.ramberg at chello.se
Tue May 23 08:51:13 UTC 2000

Doug Way wrote:

> On Sun, 21 May 2000, Karl Ramberg wrote:
>
> > [ENH]ScrollPane (scrollBarHidden: true)
> >
> > Makes it possible to hide the scrollbar in scrollpanes (!!). Sometimes
> > when the pane is really small the scrollbar makes no sence anyway. It
> > has a minimum height of 42 pixels and is really not useful when it's
> > that small.
> >
> > This changeset utilizes a instance variable that is defined but
> > currently not used  (?)  in the ScrollPane.
>
> FYI, I created a similar but more elaborate changeset, which automatically
> hides scrollbars when the contents of a pane are small enough to fit in
> the pane.
>
> The changeset works for Squeak 2.6/2.7 and seems to work for 2.8alpha,
> although I haven't tested that thoroughly.  It's at
> http://www.mindspring.com/~dway/smalltalk/HiddenScrollBar26.cs .

It looks good and is much nicer than the one I did :-)
One problem is when inboard scrollboards are turned on they wount show up :-(

Fix that and this should be a perfect preference in the scrolling category.

> We'd probably want a Preference for this before considering adding it to
> the base image.  (My changeset actually removes the unused
> 'scrollBarHidden' instance variable, but adds a different one,
> 'hasFocus'.)
>
> I know, goodies like this one should be added to the All Projects page on
> the Swiki, so people know about them.  I've been thinking about further
> cleaning up the All Projects page... it could use some more rigid
> formatting to make it more readable, perhaps some indentation like the
> Squeak FAQ.  Or maybe a table, although I think an indented list might
> look nicer.  Also, there are a *lot* of goodies/tools/projects out there
> that aren't on the page yet... I may try to add a few.

Sounds good. Scamper does not use tables yet so have that in mind. Lex
suggested a few
things like description, author, date etc that I think are good.
I personally like these sites:  http://softrak.stepwise.com/  and
http://www.versiontracker.com/

Karl