Proposal3: Make $_ a valid identifier character

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Sun May 28 22:35:39 UTC 2000

In message <200005281631_MC2-A6AA-BE6D at compuserve.com> you wrote:

> What is horrible about the idea of moving Smalltalk code more easily forth
> and back between the different dialects of Smalltalk?
Nothing.
What is horrible is :-
a) the use of underscore in symbols. Does anyone think that C should
allow '=' or '|' or '->' in variable names?
b) messing with my favourite backarrow assignment operator
c) any hint of (and I'm NOT accusing Stephan of this in any ad hominem
attack) 'oh this is the standard way, so that is what we must do' - if
we followed this all the time there would be no progress. There is an
important place in the world for standards, but not one that messes with
my habits. I think the X3J20 committee was imbibing too much of
something hallucinagenic when they accepted this nonsense of ':=' for
assignment. what next ? Changing '^' to 'return' ?

tim
PS for the terminally humour impaired, I'm joking. Except for a). And
b).
PPS No, really, I'm serious.
PPPS No actually I'm joking.

Fractured Idiom:- ICH LIEBE RICH - I'm really crazy about having dough