Slang and InterpreterPlugin

Juan Manuel Vuletich jmvuletich at sinectis.com.ar
Sun May 7 18:28:42 UTC 2000

Hi Andrew

(This is mainly for Andrew C. Greenberg, but any comment is welcome)

I'm starting with VM plugins. Your documentation at http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/464 is great. The TestInterpreterPlugin is great also. These are some things that I had to figure myself and could go to the swiki. I did't add anything there because http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/850 seems to be in construction. If you continue working on it, you could say something about Slang programming considerations:

- Indexable objects are indexed from 0 (the C style)
- Declaration of methods temp vars other than int (for example self var: #scale declareC:'double scale'. )
- C castings (I found I coud do aFloat asInteger, but not aFloat truncated)
- What objects and messages are really available in Slang
- What objects can be added (for example, I cound use a Bitmap in Slang, addin to it the class method category 'plugin generation' from WordArray.
- This is a bit tricky: When the plugin interface method does APlugin doPrimitive:withArguments: the array passed as parameter must contain exactly the arguments of the method (I tried to include anArgument asFloat in the array and got the original anArgument instead)
- Aritmethic precedence rules (Still don't know if it will use Smalltalk style or C style, or if it will do the same in the plugin simulation as in C)

If you are not working in http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/850 any longer, or don't want my suggestions, please tell me. I could open another page in the swiki.

Thanks for your work, and for reading this
--
               Juan Manuel Vuletich
            jmvuletich at sinectis.com.ar
                jvuletic at dc.uba.ar