Celeste Problems--How to Recover

danielv at netvision.net.il danielv at netvision.net.il
Fri May 19 08:31:17 UTC 2000

John.Maloney at disney.com wrote:
> [Celeste tries very hard to never lose mail.]
Truly.
I'd also like to point out that as of recently, it's become rather
difficult to really lose any of your index file, too. Every action that
modifies the index immidiately records the change into a log file. The
original motivation was speed, btw, safety is a nice side effect.

When you exit Celeste regularly, the updated index in memory is properly
saved to disk, and the log file is deleted. Business as usual. If
Celeste somehow finishes abnormally, next time you bring up Celeste,
it'll note it has a log file, read it, and modify it's internal index
appropriately.

So your index file is probably safe, too. I'd say that having the last
few categorizations lost is the worst thing that is likely to happen to
mail in Celeste. Anybody feel like making categorizations log actions
too?

BTW, if anybody sees a case where they lose a message or have their
index break in Celeste, please let me know, that's sure to be
interesting.

Daniel