FW: FW: Time to make a Freshmeat kind of Squeak site ?

John Buffington jbuff at pacific.net
Wed May 3 21:41:54 UTC 2000

> > Lex Spoon wrote:
>
>However, do we need to have formal mechanisms for deciding who is
>allowed to edit things?  Moreover, do we need any particular software
>support?  In my opinion we do not.  We haven't had any incidents of
>people messing up the Squeak Swiki.  Likewise, I'm not aware of *any*
>Wiki that's been vandalized.  I'm sure it happens occasionally, but it
>seems to be rare.

The Echostar Knowledge Base http://echostar.swiki.net was vandalized a
couple of months ago.
Since then I've locked all the pages, and have done almost all the edits
myself. I'm looking forward to the changes reported by Stephan Pair,
so I can open up edits to trusted contributors I've invited.

Restoring the content was no problem, but since the swiki keeps a change log,
I had to create a new swiki and transfer the contents to keep the vandal
from being
able to use the page history to show off his handiwork to his peers.

Since much of the vandal's posting was image links to an external porn
site, I also felt it
was prudent to remove any possibility that a user might be offended when
examining

Admittedly, there's a bit more rivalry and immaturity in the world of DBS
TV than there is
in the Smalltalk world, but any vandal who found a swiki could do the same
thing to you.