idle speculation (was: Face down, nine-edge first)

Stephen Pair spair at advantive.com
Sat May 13 19:47:04 UTC 2000

> That is my point - we still suffer from the early popularity of half
> baked ideas. Were we just unlucky or was that the inescapable path of
> computer evolution (and the sad rule of mainframe->mini->micro
> recapitulation)?
>
> Just wondering...
> -- Jecel

I think your latter suggestion is the more likely.  It was more of an
inevitability than a matter of luck.  The half baked ideas simply make it
out the door first.  I think a re-conditioning of society to be more
accepting and even desiring of change is the only thing that can possibly
help speed technological progress.  Yes, let's take the half-baked ideas,
but let us be willing to throw them out the door.  Once people find a
solution, they are often blinded by it and that is dangerous...we must be
willing to accept that everything we think we know may be wrong.

- Stephen