Seeking help on Font Display

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Sat May 27 00:07:23 UTC 2000

>I built a font using BitFont from a publicly available font called
>Ypatia whose contents are mostly Greek letters
>(http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu:8888/cs2340/uploads/ypatia.zip).  It's
>behaving oddly, and I'm not sure how to fix it.
>
>The problem is that this works:
>('g' asParagraph textStyle: (TextStyle named: 'Ypatia')) display
>But this displays nothing at all:
>('G' asParagraph textStyle: (TextStyle named: 'Ypatia')) display
>
>All the capital letters are blank.  ' G ', however, works fine, as
>does any text typed into a TextMorph or Workspace.  Swapping
>'NewYork' or 'ComicBold' for 'Ypatia', also works.
>
>My suspicion is that I've screwed up the font definition somehow that
>the bounds aren't being computed correctly, but I'm starting to get
>lost trying to find and fix the bug.  Does anyone have any
>suggestions or have had similar experiences?

Mark -

My suggestion is first to examine

	(TextStyle named: 'Ypatia') defaultFont fontDisplay.

If only one thing looks wrong, I would go after it with the various widthOf:, edit:, etc. methods available.  I sure don't know what caused the problem.  Also, naturally, inspect the font to check that minAscii, maxAscii, etc are reasonable.

Good luck
	- Dan