[BUG] 2.8a Environment Reorg ( Help Please )

Lantz Rowland lantz at aabysgallery.com
Tue May 30 19:44:32 UTC 2000

On May 25th Lantz wrote:
>Well, I am still lost in the Environment reorganization.

 >>On 2/11/00, Dan Ingalls wrote in ChangeSet 1860EnvironmentChgs1 :
 >>      Environments and ImageSegments are back on top of the todo list

>I have not spotted any changes or discussions regarding the Environment
>Reorganization.
>
>Is anyone else wrestling with this?

Does anyone have an 2.8a image after running Environment
reorganizeEverything ?

If not, will someone please set an image up and take a look. If there is no
real issue with the code that moves core classes out of  Smalltalk and I am
missing something that is fine, I'll just trash this test image and move on.

> [...]
>SystemDictionary that have now been moved into Environment sets.
>
>The Server updates changesets sending messages to the moved objects
>stopped the updates from the server after the reorg. Messages like:
>         ClassChangeRecord>>methodsFor:stamp
>
>  I changed to downloading the changes and not applying them to my image
> so I could look for fixes.
>
>I do not believe this situation is like the concept handled by:
>ImageSegmentRootStub>>doesNotUnderstand:
>
>It is not unloaded segment that just needs to be brought into the image.
>It is also not like the situation handled by:
>         ProtoObject>>cannotInterpret
>
>The receiver has been moved out of the SystemDictionary into an
>Environment set.
>
>I think of the Environment as an extension to SystemDictionary, so it is
>the SystemDictionary that needs to be aware of it's extensions and it's
>internal organization and redirect the messages.
>         Tools includesKey: #Debugger. "true"
>         Smalltalk includesKey: #Debugger. "s/b also true"
>
>Aside... Perhaps the server updates should always download the change
>first, then attempt to update the image. If the update is successful and
>if the human has stated not to keep local copies of the updates, _then_
>remove the file.
>
>=======================================
>
>SystemDictionary class ()
>
>     Smalltalk includesKey: #Debugger. "false"
>     Smalltalk includesKey: #ClassChangeRecord. "false"
>
>   Environment class ()
>     SmalltalkEnvironment class ()
>
>         ToolsEnvironment class ()
>             Tools includesKey: #Debugger. "true"
>             Tools includesKey: #ClassChangeRecord. "true"
>
>         NetworkEnvironment class ()
>             Network includesKey: #PWS. "true"
>             Network includesKey: #ServerAction. "true"
>
>         Balloon3DEnvironment class ()
>         BalloonEnvironment class ()
>         FFIEnvironment class ()
>         MorphicEnvironment class ()
>         PoohEnvironment class ()
>         ST80Environment class ()
>         SoundEnvironment class ()
>         SpeechEnvironment class ()
>         SqueakEnvironment class ()
>         VMConstructionEnvironment class ()
>
>=======================================
>" Example walkback: "
>"  zLSq2-8a/Updates/2008ModProjClassHack.cs "
>
>" - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - "
>UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand:
>
>Message>>sentTo:
>UndefinedObject(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand:
>UndefinedObject>>DoIt
>" - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - "
>     DoIt
>     ^ ClassChangeRecord
>         methodsFor: 'all changes'
>         stamp: 'di 4/5/2000 08:05'
>" - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - "
>Compiler>>evaluate:in:to:notifying:ifFail:
>Compiler class>>evaluate:for:notifying:logged:
>Compiler class>>evaluate:for:logged:
>Compiler class>>evaluate:logged:
>[] in StandardFileStream(ReadWriteStream)>>fileInAnnouncing:
>String>>displayProgressAt:from:to:during:

Thanks,

Lantz

>>XRef:
>>         1860EnvironmentChgs1-di