[ENH][Inc] BrowserWithDragAndDrop

Stephan Rudlof sr at evolgo.de
Sat May 6 17:41:11 UTC 2000

Bob,

Bob Arning wrote:

> On Sat, 06 May 2000 14:22:40 +0200 Stephan Rudlof <sr at evolgo.de> wrote:
> >I think it would be good to have this information in the subject line,
> >so everyone can fastly see, if there are new - incremental -
> >improvements of already posted changesets, and that it is *not*
> >sufficient just to download this incremental one.
> >
> >Any opinions? (I'm not dogmatic regarding this point ;-) )
>
> Stephan,
>
> There may be some possible confusion with incremental changes to things that are not yet in the image. This puts the burden on the potential user to know which of the previously posted versions this is incremental to.

I thought of using just *one* base version - named e.g. v0.6 - base and
incremental additions to just this one - named e.g. v0.6.7 (containing
all incremental changesets to v0.6 before).

Another problem is, that if you change methods in the base image and
change their code later back to their original code, you have to keep
them in a further - incremental - changeset, which should be applied to
the base changeset. In a new base changeset - to be applied to a
distribution image - you are able to omit them.
But what about people applying *base* changesets after each other?

I think this is a version control issue (hopefully handled some
time...);
any comments?

You could argue, of course, that I shouldn't release code in a stadium,
where many distribution image methods are changed forth and back,
though   ;-) .

> I would prefer seeing code that depends only on the current image - each additional prerequisite increases the chance of failure (or of the user simply ignoring your updates).

That's true.

> If the complete code is too big to keep sending out to the list, put it on a server somewhere and send the url.

I will do this with the next versions (as with e.g. LargeIntegers stuff
before); and send them directly to Stefan Matthias Aust as he wished to.

Thank you for your comments,

Greetings,

Stephan

--