OS like GUI for Squeak

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at 3plus4.de
Sun May 21 09:06:25 UTC 2000

At 10:01 20.05.00 +0200, hgn at edicar.de wrote:
>We would like to switch from VW to Squeak (mainly for the superb font
>handling) but we so need a GUI which looks like Windows OS and later also
>for the Mac. For commercial customer this is a MUST.
>
>I have heart of several rumours about this beeing under development or
>even available.

AFAIK, there's nothing like this available.  Steve B. Wessel worked on
skins for morphic but I don't whether he finished his work and how far this
goes.  However, I'd guess that for a real Windows look & feel, much more
work is needed.

(So, if you really need something, pay me and I'll work on that issue :-)

Do you need pull down menus?  This is completely missing with Squeak.  You
could fake something will popup menus and buttons but still, the feel is
not the same.  Squeak also does not support keyboard accelerators or
keyboard menu and dialog navigation which I consider really important for
the right feel.  Fortunately, I don't think this is difficult to add.

The only disadvantage might be that Squeak shows everything in its own
window. This might cause trouble if you want to provide resizable windows
which should fit seamless into the desktop.

bye
--
Stefan Matthias Aust  //  ...come on, kiss the frog!