Some j3 feedback

Henrik Gedenryd Henrik.Gedenryd at lucs.lu.se
Mon Nov 13 15:17:24 UTC 2000

I think this was meant for the list...

----------
From: carlg at world.std.com
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 14:46:15 -0000
To: Henrik Gedenryd <Henrik.Gedenryd at lucs.lu.se>
Subject: Re: Some j3 feedback

--- In squeak at egroups.com, Henrik Gedenryd <Henrik.Gedenryd at l...>
wrote:
> I am speculating that the cache is too small. Is that possible? I
didn't
> find any way to adjust the code cache size. Would it be an idea to
use the
> regular object memory for code caching? Then any available memory
would
> benefit j3, and a low space watcher could be used to ensure that
the cache
> only used memory that isn't needed elsewhere.

Is there a cache?  I was under the impression that J3 isn't a just in
time compiler.  Doesn't the J3 simply essentially substitute machine
code for bytecodes on a per-bytecode basis as it goes?  The plugin
looks to see if a bytecode is in its case statement, and if it is it
executes machine code for it.  If a bytecode is not in the case
statement it feeds back into the regular bytecode interpreter.

Anyone care to clarify?  :-)

-Carl