killing processes

Daniel V. Oppenheim music at watson.ibm.com
Tue Nov 21 11:08:23 UTC 2000

To avoid this sort of confusion I subclass Process (say MyProcess). This
way I don't have to worry about accidently killing a system process when
things get messy on my end -- its very easy to find them via <allInstances>
as well as to identify them in ProcessorScheduler.

Hmm... one potential issue -- I only did this in VisualWorks where it works
well. I'm assuming that the same goes for Squeak, but Squeak *may* not like
instances of the new Process sublcass -- does anyone know if that would
cause any problems?

Danny

At 01:18 PM 11/19/00 +0000, you wrote:
>Thanks. That did it OK. I had to take a guess as to which processes were
>the right ones (there were about 30, including lots 'in Undefined Object',
>but I was able to terminate and then garbageCollect them.
>
>I guess that's how I learn things .. !
>
>Cheers
>
>Daniel
>
>At 20:42 18/11/00 -0500, you wrote:
>>Well, there was a ProcessViewer floating around a few days
>>back. Otherwise...
>>
>> > Only trouble is, I can't get rid of the things! If I had assigned them to
>> > variables, I could send them a 'terminate' message, but as I can't
>> > reference them, what can I do? I was looking for a list of active
>> processes
>> > in and around ProcessorScheduler, but couldn't find it.
>>
>>Try inspecting Process allInstances. It wouldn't hurt to do a Smalltalk
>>garbageCollect to clear out any uncollected ones.
>>
>>In general, when I do these sorts of experiments, I inspect or explore my
>>workspace code. That way, I have a handy grip on my object and can
>>experiment or clean up after it.
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Bijan Parsia.

---

Dr. Daniel V.
Oppenheim

	Computer Music Center
	IBM T.J. Watson Research Center	     phone: (914) 945-1989
	P. O. Box 218 (or Route 134)	     fax:   (914) 945-3434
	Yorktown Heights, NY 10598	     www.research.ibm.com/music