Manual, URL, or Documentation for Pluggable Primitives

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Mon Nov 27 20:34:40 UTC 2000

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000, Daniel V. Oppenheim wrote:

> I know that a lot of work has been going on to improve connection
> between Squeak and C via pluggable primitives. Is there a manual,
> documentation, URL, pointers, gotcha list, etc. that is easily
> accessible?

Nothing regarding Squeak documentation really deserves the "easily
accessible" attribute yet ;)

But besides the usual advice to "look into the image" there's something at
the Swiki (http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/464) and in Andrew
Greenberg's chapter in the Squeak book
(http://coweb.cc.gatech.edu/squeakbook/3).

2.8 Plugins: http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1448
FFI: http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/1414

> Is conection limited to C DLLs or can you also connect to a C++ DLL?

C only. For C++ you have to write C wrappers.

> Is there a callback mechanism or plans to make one available?

No - and nothing planned AFAIK.

> Squeak Semaphore signal from C?

Yes.

> Shared Memory? What about type checking? Any plans for an elaborate
> mechanism similar to the VisualWorks DLL Connect?

Not sure about these queations - you saw FFI?

-- Bert