Setting up problem

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Nov 2 18:59:29 UTC 2000

Bert Freudenberg <bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Lex Spoon wrote:
>
> > I just tried this, and it didn't work.  Has anyone gotten Squeak working
> > under esddsp?
>
> As I said before, I'm not using esddsp, and it just works :)

Well, then I wasn't talking to you.  :)  Perhaps ALSA lets you open
/dev/dsp multiple times.  I dunno.

Even if multiple opens are no longer a problem, sound servers
still have benefits over /dev/dsp.  So, it would be
really interesting to hear from someone who uses Squeak through esd
using the esddsp wrapper.  From the docs, I don't see how they could get
latency down to anything reasonable.  But it would be nice to see some
verification of this.  (When I try it, it doesn't work at all....)

-Lex