ComSwiki on a NetWinder?

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Fri Nov 17 19:17:50 UTC 2000

Bert Freudenberg <bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de> is widely believed to have written:

> On Thu, 16 Nov 2000 bobh at agents.com wrote:
>
> > I'm using the headless VM, but when I try to start squeak I get an
> > "illegal instruction" error.
>
> Looks like a VM problem to me. You could try if it works with an image
> that you know is okay.
This looks like a problem I started getting after upgrading my NW to the
(then) latest kernel/etc. So far as I can tell (from very limited
experience with gdb) it is failing to cope with a floating point
instruction properly (err, STMF IIRC) which makes me feel that they
screwed up changes to the float stuff. I got no help whatsoever from the
NW people when I asked about it and then the world changed and I haven't
had time to care about it in months.

It might be worth trying to write a simple C prog that does something
vaguely floating point prim-like to see if it also causes the problem
and sending it to NW if so.

Craig has my NW at the moment and might be able to examine the
difference between his (which works) and mine (which doesn't).

tim

In the long run, every program becomes rococco, and then rubble.  - Alan Perlis