Update to mpeg player (smalltalk, source code, plugin)

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Sun Nov 19 16:31:38 UTC 2000

On Sat, 18 Nov 2000, John M McIntosh wrote:

> Incorporated changes to make the mpeg code compile on Linux,
> macintosh, and Windows. More work is still pending.
>
> Hopefully I've not broken too many things (heh heh).

Well ... it took me almost as long to get it to compile and run now as it
took me to port to Linux the first time. Here's my list:

* Mpeg3Plugin.c is still misnamed (lower case P in Mpeg3plugin.c)
* Icon^M.bin (CR in name - what's that file anyway?)
* CRs instead of LF in files COPYING, changesForSqueak.h, Mpeg3Plugin.[hc]
* Makefile is overly complex
* no INSTALL description
* Mac binaries in src archive (mpeglibAudioVideo)
* video, audio must be subdirectories of libmpeg, docs should be
* mkMakefile and other tools do not have execute permissions. You could
  use a suitable archive format (.tar.gz) or restore permissions
  in the Makefile (chmod +x ...) or use "sh -s < mkMakefile" or ...
* "stuff = free(stuff);" should be "free(stuff);" in changesForSqueak.c
* tabs at line start in Mpeg3Plugin.h must be deleted
* mantissa.c in Makefile must be removed
* libpthread is linked even if disabled
* cc must use -O3 because of inlined functions (and speed, of course)
* someone added underscores to the MMX code in output.c, slice.c, etc.
  (mpeg3_MMX_80w etc) which become undefined symbols when loading
  Mpeg3Plugin.so, causing the module load to fail
* someone broke pthreads. if enabled, video playback is just blank
  green!

After this (I hope I didn't forget too many things) and with an other
makefile it compiled and worked. I hope you still work with Lex to fix
that stuff? One other issue:

* crashes VM when unloading the module while playing

-- Bert