dependency mechanism, and other questions

Daniel, Sofie and Beatrice mcbracke at eircom.net
Sun Nov 19 21:38:25 UTC 2000

Can anyone help me with this?

I was playing with the LED counter morph class, and trying to work out how
it updated its screen display. I figured that 'self changed' was doing it,
but when I did:

display dependents

in the workspace, the answer was an empty array. How can the change method
work if the dependents list is empty?

More stuff (while I'm here):

I got into Smalltalk through my Open University course. There they made a
big point of emphasising the distinction between the domain model and the
UI, then later had to admit it wasn't always that simple - sometimes you
need a little extra logic. Hence (I guess) MVC ...

.. but then where does Morphic fit in? To me it looks like this blurs all
three back into one big ball again. I guess you would still model the
problem seperately when appropriate, but it seems possible to build simple
apps where the UI actually _is_ the model ...

Any comments?

Thanks

Daniel