Character recognition (was Re: Return...)

Alan Kay Alan.Kay at disney.com
Sat Nov 4 14:25:18 UTC 2000

Thanks Duane --

I looked at the patent and I don't anything particularly new,
especially with respect to their claims. Gabe Groner's 1960s recog
had all the features in Xeerox's and in Grafitti. (And BTW there are
any number of good free recognizers that have been derived from the
GRAIL one and from Ken Ledeen's, like a wonderful one by Steve
Purcell at MIT/Harvard in the 70s).
      The reason I had not heard of Xerox's is that I left Xerox in
1980 and the patent in question was granted in 1997 to someone I
don't know.

Here is a pernicious situation, where the incompetence of the US
Patent organization has loosed yet another nuisance out into the
world. Because of the clear prior art from the sixties, most modern
character recognition will be found derivative of ideas that have
been in the public domain for decades. But why should companies still
be allowed to take actions in such cases that then will require time,
energy, court costs, etc., to merely get back to ground zero? You can
imagine that I have been involved as a deposition witness in many
many dispiriting disputes over ideas whose provenance is clear, but
that have been wrongly patented.
      I believe that the entire US patent system has been broken to a
deep enough extent for a long enough time to be absolutely useless in
carrying out its charter functions. Fortunately, they weren't willing
to even start patenting programs until the very late 70s or maybe
even the early 80s. The first suits involving SW that I had to
testify at were in the early 80s, involved "look and feel", and the
deep legal precedents that were used were based on a ca. 1910 patent
on player piano roles(!) This is how bad the whole area is. It's like
radioactive pollution seeping into the drinking water.

Here is a wierd idea with regard to this particular subject. Gabe
Groner's recognizer fit into 2K of the 360/44 at RAND that was used
as a single-user (yes!) machine for GRAIL. I don't know where Gabe is
these days (or Ken Ledeen), but like the rest of us geezers from the
60s, they are likely still alive and kicking. Squeak can emulate the
various machine codes of the 360 much faster than it could run them
itself -- Dan's emulation of the Alto to make Smalltalk-72 run again
is 20 times faster than the original Alto.
      So getting the original code from Gabe and emulating it would
give you a workable recognizer that CAN'T infringe those patents.
Come to think of it, somewhere we do have the Smalltalk-76
Ledeen-type recog code, and it CAN'T INFRINGE for the same reasons.
      Moreover, I believe that any recog simply implemented from one
of these writeups, like Gabe's and like Sproull's of the Ledeen),
can't infringe -- though anyone can be paid to argue this, if
meaninglessly.

With regard to the current recognizer (and most recognizers). If your
tablet supplies subpixel resolution (the good ones do) and it is set
to bypass the "convert to mouse" SW, then you can draw very small
characters and have them recognized (you should antialias the strokes
also).
      However, Nathanial's is so good that I've been using it instead
of the one-pager now in Squeak. With a smart recog like his, one
careful training session will fit most people without any further
training.

It would be a good idea to trace the provenance of Ken Perlin's
ideas. The particular idea of using direction strokes as meanings has
been around for a very long time, so this could be yet another
nuisance patent ...

Cheers,

Alan