Ascii Equivalents for KeyUp/KeyDown events

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Wed Nov 29 10:14:31 UTC 2000

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Marcel Weiher wrote:

> > From: "Lex Spoon" <lex at cc.gatech.edu>
>
> > I'm sure someone will post a more thorough response, but note that not
> > all keys *have* an ASCII code.  What is ASCII for F1, or up-arrow?
>
> Several possible solutions:
>
> 1.	Use Unicode instead of ASCII and define private characters
> for special keys
> [...]

I'd prefer ...

  1a.	Use X key codes instead of ASCII so you do not have to define
 	private characters for special keys

... as suggested by Andreas Raab. (Not quite) incidentally, these key
codes include the ASCII characters at the usual code positions.

Here's (one instance of) the X11/keysymdef.h header file:
http://src.openresources.com/debian/src/x11/HTML/S/
xfree86_3.3.2.2.orig%20xfree86-3.3.2.2.orig%20include%20keysymdef.h.html

-- Bert